How We Checked Out in 2018
- It has been a great year at your public library. The staff is especially proud of the following new services and accomplishments:
- The library was very excited to increase our collection of Playaway Launchpads (pre-loaded game devices) and Playaway Audio Book devices. In addition, the library added Playaway Bookpacks (Playaway audio book with matching book), and Playaway Views (pre-loaded video) devices to our collection.
- Security Library added over 60 languages to our Mango Language Database! Patrons can now learn 70 foreign languages, English, or even Pirate in this interactive, and highly fun, database.
- SPL replaced all public and staff computers this year. Check out our new carpet and artwork from our high school students!
- The 20th annual Poetry Contest for kids, teens, and adults encouraged the creation of 160 original poems.
- “Libraries Rock”, the Children’s Summer Reading Program, had 1,087 children joining the program.
- “Libraries Rock”, the Teen Summer Reading Program, kept 325 teens reading throughout the summer.
- The 2018 Fall Story Contest for kids, teens, and adults encouraged the creation of 460 original stories.
- The 19th annual Adult Winter Reading Program, “Warm Up With a Good Book,” had a total of 575 adult participants.
- SPL helped Security/Widefield “raise readers” by offering 822 storytimes, programs, and outreaches, attended by 27,098 local children and parents.
- The Friends of the Security Public Library contributed $5,000 to library programs and contests.
Facts and Figures:
- The library served an estimated population of 50,000.
- SPL issued 1,915 new library cards, bringing the total registration to 35,729.
- SPL circulated 123,547 books, magazines, audio, and other materials!
- The staff answered 57,831 informational questions.
- The library presented 977 programs that were attended by 33,279 children, teens, and adults.
- A total of 5,360 new items were added to the collection.
- The staff arranged for patrons to borrow 6,798 items from other library systems. In addition, the library lent 7,776 items to other libraries in the state.
Staff: 7 full-time & 5 part-time.
Board of Trustees
Trisha Lammert, Vice-President
Diana Leibbrandt, President
Kelcie O'Donnell, Secretary