Delays & Closures
The primary method to notify all district employees, parents, and students of school closing is by local media.
We also use email, text, mobile app, website, and social media. We strongly encourage our community to sign up for FLASHALERT which gives immediate notification of a closure or delay.
- Make inclement weather decision(s) based on students’ safety.
- Make the decision as to whether school will be open and announce no later than 6:00 A.M. by notifying local media.
- Not penalize students if parents keep them home or pick them up from school on questionable days.
In the event the decision made earlier is to open schools and the storm worsens unexpectedly, WSD3 will:
- Inform the same media if schools decide to dismiss students early.
- Keep buildings open as long as necessary to evacuate all students safely.
Parents are expected to:
- Be responsible for the custody of children.
- Decide whether or not to send children to school on threatening, stormy days.
- Listen for an early dismissal announcement.
- Make sure children know what to do and where to go if dismissed early.
- Know that students may be dismissed earlier than normal.
- Not rely on telephones to make last-minute arrangements for their children (lines tend to malfunction during storms).
Two Hour Late Start
If an emergency closing is declared by the superintendent for part of the day only, a two-hour late start may be used.
- Whenever feasible, a two-hour late start will be announced by 5:30 A.M. through the same channels as a school closure.
- These channels include television, radio, social media, and the district’s website. When district officials announce a two-hour late start, all start times, bus pickup times and other standard schedules will be moved back by two hours.
WSD3 may use a two-hour late start as an option between closing schools or starting at the normal times. A two-hour late start may be used when a storm is passing or when additional time may be needed to prepare for students and staff arriving at their schools. Two-hour late starts will be announced by 5:30 a.m. through the same channels as a school closure. These channels include television, radio, social media, mobile app, and the district's website.
When district officials announce a two-hour late start, all start times, bus pickup times, and other standard schedules will be moved back by two hours. Morning kindergarten and morning pre-school will be canceled for that day. Certified kindergarten and pre-school staff are to report with the rest of the instructional staff.
District maintenance staff will report as scheduled by the supervisor. Administrators, identified office staff, and 12-month employees are to report as soon as they can safely arrive at their responsibility centers. Instructional staff is to report as soon as it is safe to do so, but before students are to arrive at the conclusion of the delay.