What is an ICAP/4 Year Plan of Study?
ICAP is an Individual Career and Academic Plan or plan of study designed to guide students in post-secondary planning and providing individual pathway options. Post-secondary planning assists students with career planning for life. It can include military career options, trade and vocational schooling, two year and four year colleges or the world of work.
Why are ICAPs/Plan of Study’s important?
- Planning for life after high school is a multi-year process. Mesa Ridge High School Counselors meet with grade level advisory classes to provide valuable resources and information to help students in creating a meaningful ICAP.
- ICAPs and yearly NAVIANCE tasks are a graduation requirement.
- When families, students and schools work together, it helps students explore different careers or goals thus creating a successful ICAP/Plan of study while in high school.
- Postsecondary and Workforce readiness: ICAP is the avenue for students to explore careers and create action steps in meeting career goals. Students complete yearly milestones in the NAVIANCE program to assist with ICAP development.
- Creating a culture where parents, students, schools, industry professionals and community leaders help students gain knowledge, soft skills and explore pathways are key to creating successful ICAPS.
Family role in ICAP
- Continue to communicate with your student about goals after high school.
- Be involved and track student’s progress towards graduation and educational/Work/Military goals.
- Visit NAVIANCE to view your student’s input with interest inventories, game plans and surveys.
- Based off career interests, you can look at an actual plan of study in NAVIANCE to guide students in the classes to enroll while in high school.
- You can also look at colleges of interest and gather information regarding financial aid and scholarships.
Yearly ICAP development with Mesa Ridge High School Counseling Center
- Mesa Ridge High School Counselors present valuable information to advisory classes to guide students for success at Mesa Ridge and to plan for their future.
- Since advisory classes are grade level, Counselors present information appropriate to the grade level for future planning .
- Counselors provide tasks for students to complete to gain an understanding of individual goals and how these tie to postsecondary goals/planning. These tasks are accessed through the NAVIANCE Program.
Grade level presentations/task completion
- Review resources for success at MRHS
- Complete Interest profiler
- Create ICAP/4 year Plan of Study
- Create a post-secondary goal
- Complete a Personality Profile
- Update ICAP/4 year Plan of Study
- Review Resume Builder and encourage to start
- Review and update career goal
- Update ICAP/4 year Plan of Study & resume
- Complete the Game Plan and/or College Search
- Junior Survey
- Introduce financial resources if applicable
- Add ACT/SAT scores
- Finalize ICAP/4 year Plan of Study and Resume
- Post-Secondary Action plan and senior meetings
- Includes information and guidance of the following:
ü -Apply for colleges
ü -Apply to scholarships
ü - Enlist in Military
ü -World of work - Print resume
- Senior Survey