LAPTOP LOAN POLICY
Eligibility of the Borrower:
1. Borrower must be 18 years of age or older and have a SPL patron card in good standing (no fines/fees on account) and have had a SPL library card for at least 60 days. Borrower must leave a photo ID at the circulation desk to check out a laptop; ID will be returned at the time of laptop check-in.
2. Borrower understands the laptop loans are for in-library use only, and cannot be removed from the library building.
3. Borrower must have sufficient knowledge to operate the computer including knowledge of:
How to start and shut down the computer.
How to access the Internet and other programs.
How to save files with a flash drive (not provided).
Obligations of Borrower:
1. Laptops are loaned for in-library use only and are not to be taken from the library.
2. Patron will not alter any settings or configurations on the laptop.
3. The library reserves the right to restrict or terminate computer use privileges if patron misuses or abuses library equipment or does not act in accordance to library policy.
4. Patron will not leave the laptop unattended.
5. Laptops may be checked out for 2 hours per day.
6. Laptops are available for check out by adults over 18 years of age who have had a card for 60 days. Patrons who do not have a SPL patron card in good standing (no fines/fees on account) will not be able to check out a laptop.
7. Laptops are not available for check out one hour or less prior to library closing time.
8. Laptops must be returned to library staff at least 30 minutes prior to library closing.
9. Security Public Library will not assume responsibility for lost files due to viruses, hardware failure, and network interruptions.
10. Patron must save to a removable storage device since any work will not be saved to the laptop.
11. Library wireless connections are not secure, and patron should take appropriate caution with personal information while using a library computer.
12. Laptops have Internet filtering software. Filters are not 100% effective and the library will not be held responsible for any site that is or is not blocked.
13. Audio must be played through a headphone set.
14. Printing is $.10 per page, or $.25 per page for color
Liability of Borrower:
1. Borrower accepts full responsibility for the laptop computer and accessories.
2. Borrower will reimburse SPL for the cost of repairing or replacing this laptop and/or its accessories if they are damaged, lost, or stolen while checked out.
ADOPTED 11/2014 Page 1 of 2
3. Overdue fines accrue at $5.00 for every hour, or portion thereof, if the laptop is returned late. Patron will be charged a fine plus lose laptop borrowing privileges for one week. If not returned by closing time, the laptop will be considered lost and patron will be responsible for a replacement fee of $1,000.
4. Borrower understands that when the loan period has elapsed I must return the laptop to a staff person. Until the laptop has been returned to a staff member and is checked in, it is my responsibility.
Rights of SPL
SPL may refuse to lend a computer for any reasons it deems appropriate, including but not limited to lack of satisfactory ID, prior violations of this contract or of other library policies by borrower.
ADOPTED: 11/2014 Page 2 of 2