LAPTOP LOAN POLICY
Eligibility of the Borrower:
- Borrower must be 18 years of age or older and have a SPL patron card in good standing (no fines/fees on account) and have had a SPL library card for at least 60 days.
- Borrower must leave a photo ID at the circulation desk to check out a laptop; ID will be returned at the time of laptop check-in.
- Borrower understands the laptop loans are for in-library use only, and cannot be removed from the library building. Borrower must have sufficient knowledge to operate the computer including knowledge of:
- How to start and shut down the computer.
- How to access the Internet and other programs.
- How to save files with a flash drive (not provided).
Obligations of Borrower:
- Laptops are loaned for in-library use only and are not to be taken from the library.
- Patron will not alter any settings or configurations on the laptop.
- The library reserves the right to restrict or terminate computer use privileges if patron misuses or abuses library equipment or does not act in accordance to library policy.
- Patron will not leave the laptop unattended.
- Laptops may be checked out for 2 hours per day.
- Laptops are available for check out by adults over 18 years of age who have had a card for 60 days. Patrons who do not have a SPL patron card in good standing (no fines/fees on account) will not be able to check out a laptop.
- Laptops are not available for check out one hour or less prior to library closing time.
- Laptops must be returned to library staff at least 30 minutes prior to library closing.
- Security Public Library will not assume responsibility for lost files due to viruses, hardware failure, and network interruptions.
- Patron must save to a removable storage device since any work will not be saved to the laptop.
- Library wireless connections are not secure, and patron should take appropriate caution with personal information while using a library computer.
- Laptops have Internet filtering software. Filters are not 100% effective and the library will not be held responsible for any site that is or is not blocked.
- Audio must be played through a headphone set.
- Printing is $.10 per page, or $.25 per page for color
Liability of Borrower:
- Borrower accepts full responsibility for the laptop computer and accessories.
- Borrower will reimburse SPL for the cost of repairing or replacing this laptop and/or its accessories if they are damaged, lost, or stolen while checked out.
- Overdue fines accrue at $5.00 for every hour, or portion thereof, if the laptop is returned late. Patron will be charged a fine plus lose laptop borrowing privileges for one week. If not returned by closing time, the laptop will be considered lost and patron will be responsible for a replacement fee of $1,000.
- Borrower understands that when the loan period has elapsed I must return the laptop to a staff person. Until the laptop has been returned to a staff member and is checked in, it is my responsibility.
Rights of SPL
SPL may refuse to lend a computer for any reasons it deems appropriate, including but not limited to lack of satisfactory ID, prior violations of this contract or of other library policies by borrower.
ADOPTED: 11/2014 Page 2 of 2