Library - Learn ForeverWhen everyone is a learner, there is no end to successWelcome to the Janitell Learning Center! Our mission is to provide resources that promote collaboration and critical thinking in order to push learners of all ages to excel in academics, interests, and self-reflection. We believe anything is possible with the right approach, and that the right approach can only be found through effective collaboration. Working together, there is nothing we can not accomplish.
JJHS Battle of the Books (JBOB)2017 - 2018 marks the first year of JBOB. Janitell's version of Battle of Books. Jags will compete against their teachers and other grade-levels to win the title for book champion! Why not spend 20 minutes a day working on the list? Stories draw us in because they both help us escape from and understand our own lives. Don't miss out on this year's adventures and opportunities to make new frieds.
Competition: Thursday March 22nd, 2018 - 7th period (1:50 - 2:47) - JJHS LibraryLunch Meetings:
- It only takes five books and consistent attendance at weekly lunch meetings starting the first week of October
- 6th grade starts 10/3 and meets every Tuesday in Mrs. Bryant's room (134)
- 7th grade starts 10/4 and meets every Weds in the Ms. Lovato's library (Pride room) .
- 8th grade starts 10/5 and meets every Thursday in Mrs. Parks's room (100)
- I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai
- A Long Way Gone: Memoir of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah
- Salt of the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
- Refugee by Alan Gratz
- The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau
Sem. 1 reading Contest
- 50 hours of reading works those brain muscles!
- Give yourself a fun workout and earn prizes by reading and keeping track of your time
- Check-in every 10 hours (each strong man) for prizes!
- Finish all 50 hours to earn a 7th period party, posters, early lunch, and a chance to win $100 cash!
- The longer you read, the more you can earn! $200 in cash will be given away! Last day to check in is 12/1/17
Sept./Oct. Writing contest
- Write a suspenseful, mysterious, or scary piece to demonstrate. . .
- Strong characters
- Interesting and sensible conflict and plot details
- Showing details
- Creative writing skills overall
- Choose a format that makes sense for your work, turn in a paper copy to the library by 10/27/17
- Short story
Sept./Oct. Art Contest
- Create an original piece of art to show this theme: Collaboration can turn chaos into a community
- Be sure to state the theme in the artwork
- Be sure your name, grade, and date appear on back or in email
We Want Your Videos!What inspires you to do what you do best? Have you made or seen a video that would inspire others to be positively passionate? Send videos or links to email@example.com for a chance to share it here. We'll start the year with a classic YouTube hero, Kid President.
- Format options: drawing, painting, video, music
Search it upClick on the names below to access catalogues from different librariesUse this to see resources in our school's library, including audio and e-books, ipods, nooks, and (of course) books. Remember: only put a hold on books that say "Ask", after you login. If it says "Out" please check again after the listed return date.You can even do research through Destiny, and all of the resources are guaranteed to be reliable! See resources below for more.OVERDRIVE - WSD3s ebook and audiobook collection; use this link to read or listen on your own devices!SAFARI MONTAGE - WSD3s collection of online movies, documents, and mediaUse this to see resources available at our local community center.Use this to see resources city-wide.Use this resource to find reliable research articles and academic sourcesUsername: janitell PW: jaguarsWe are happy to assist with ordering and picking up books from non-Janitell locations. Please contact us for help in placing books on hold if needed.Click HERE to access surveys and information for goals and career readiness in NavianceClick for PEARSON Math assignments, book, and help
Online Games for LearningClick here to access links to games for math, literacy, and typing skillsLinks for ClassesClick here for info on finding reliable and real research (Mrs. TAYLOR's 7th period)
Usernames and PasswordsGoogle: Email, Drive (docs, slides, sheets, apps, etc)Your student account gives you access to email, drive, and school-appropriate apps that can make your life as a student turn into the life of a learner. You can share assignments with other students, parents, and teachers, as well as collaborate in real-time. The research tool also makes it easier to find good sources, prove you used them, and cite where they came from. Login information is belowUsername format: firstname.lastname@example.org PW format: CAPITALINITIALS4digit#lowerinitialsExample Student: Stephen Hernandez, born October 3rd, 2003 Given random 4 digit # of 3751Username Example: email@example.com PW Example: SH3751shInfinite Campus (IC)Username: student number (lunch number)Password: initials6-digitbirthday (Example: sh030303)NOTE: IC is the ONLY system to use the above format. Almost ALL other systems use the PW format listed above for Google