MTSS (Multi-Tiered Systems of Support) is a framework applied at all educational levels to support the academic and behavioral needs of all students. PBIS (Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports) and RtI (Response to Intervention) both fall under the MTSS umbrella.
The framework of MTSS involves universal interventions for all, targeted intervention for some, and intensive intervention for a small number of students.
MTSS works to improve the outcomes of every student through:
- Team-Driven Shared Leadership
- Family, School, and Community Partnership
- Layered Continuum of Supports
- Evidence-Based Practices
The MTSS Problem-Solving Team Process
- Define Problem, Directly Measure Behavior
- Analyze the Problem, Validate the Problem, Identify Variables
- Develop Plan, Implement Plan as Intended, Progress Monitor, Modify as Necessary
- Evaluate Response to Intervention